If you already registered but still need to upload your team picture or music files, please navigate here.
Date: Friday, January 15, 2021
Time: 6:00 PM
Place: Clover Hill High School, 13301 Kelly Green Lane, Midlothian, VA 23112
Below is the competition format and rules, and other important information that will be needed to register for the event. A copy will be emailed for your reference at time of registration.
The Competition will include four categories: Jazz, Hip Hop, Kick and Pom. A team can compete in up to THREE categories for the standard entry fee ($175) and may compete in the fourth category for an additional fee ($25).
The guidelines for each of these categories are as follows:
JAZZ: Dance routine with the latest dance moves, studio dance, level of technique and display of strong formation changes. (no props please)
HIP HOP: Dance routine with the latest street dance moves, studio dance, and display of strong formation changes. No vulgar lyrics will be allowed. (no props please)
KICK: Choreographed to show the full potential and variety of your team’s ability to kick. Emphasis should be placed on kick control, uniformity of height of kicks, kick timing, toe points, and team stamina. Minimum of 75 kicks. Display of strong formation changes. (no props please)
POM: Performed with strong visible use of pompoms throughout the entirety of routine. Poms only in this category and no more than 16 counts of kicks. Display of strong formation changes and dropping poms limited to one time.
See competition rules for what tricks and tumbling are and are not allowed.
The cost of the Competition is $175 per team for up to three dance routines. A team may enter as many categories as they wish up to three. A team may compete in the fourth category for an additional $25 dollars.
Directors attending the event with their team (up to two only) will be admitted at no charge. Spectator admission will be $8.00 per person. All team members must have some team identification visible at the registration table such as a team uniform. Education Department passes are not valid for this event.
Kelly Green Invitational T-shirts can be ordered during online registration. Shirts are short-sleeve and cost $15 each. If every member of the dance team pre-orders a shirt, the team will receive a 10% discount! A very limited quantity will be for sale at the event.
A full refund will be given to any team who sends a withdrawal request to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 4, 2021.
The entry fee must be received before we can confirm participation and forward any additional, necessary information.
HOW TO REGISTER
Complete the online registration and mail the total entrance and t-shirt order fees to the address below.
Please mail payment to (checks made out to “Clover Hill High School”):
Clover Hill High School
Attn: David Zyglocke
13301 Kelly Green Lane
Midlothian, VA 23112
Please send any questions to email@example.com.
Registration and payment deadline is December 1, 2020.
Times below are approximate and will be finalized before January 11, 2021.
4:30pm – 5:30 pm ……………………… Team Registration/Open Gym
5:30 pm ……………………………………… Coaches Meeting
6:00 pm – 9:00 pm …………………….. Competition
9:15 pm ……………………………………… Awards Presentation
COMPETITION RULES AND SCORING
Number of Performers
A minimum of 6 dancers per team is required to compete in any of the four categories.
Performances will take place on the gymnasium floor. Only tennis shoes, dance sneakers and jazz shoes/boots with soft, non-marking soles will be permitted. No bare feet allowed.
Each routine should not exceed two (2) minutes. Timing will begin with the first dance movement and end with the last dance movement. Any team exceeding the performance time allotment will be penalized fifteen (15) points by one judge. Entrance and exits are not judged; however, teams should plan to execute entrances and exits quickly to prevent competition delays.
Music should be submitted at time of online registration or soon after at this link. Electronic files should be named with the school name and the dance category.
- Restarts will not be allowed unless there is a technical difficulty. We will not accept music from an iPod as your first form of music. The only time an iPod will be used is if your electronically submitted music does not work for some reason, then an iPod or phone can be used as back-up only!
Fifteen (15) points will be deducted by one judge for any performance that exceeds the two minute time limit, has music lyrics that are unedited for vulgar dialog or for any performance that includes prohibited tumbling and/or stunts.
Winners will be chosen in each of the four categories: JAZZ, HIP HOP, KICK and POM.
Teams wishing to compete for GRAND CHAMPION must compete in at least three categories. The scoring for the GRAND CHAMPION of the Invitational will be based on the average of your teams’ three scores. If your team chooses to compete in all four categories, the lowest of the four scores will be thrown out and the team’s final score will be based on the top three categories.
The Judge’s Choice Prize will be chosen by the judges based on the most entertaining, spirited dance of the evening.
Jumps, Leaps and Turns are three Mini-Competitions to be held following the main Competition but before the Awards Presentation. Each team will be invited to have one dancer compete in each competition. The dancers will perform an improvisational dance to include as many jumps, leaps or turns as they choose for approximately 30 seconds. Judges will choose one dancer in each mini-competition to award as the best jumper, leaper and turner.
TUMBLING AND TRICKS RULES AND REGULATIONS
Dive Rolls (in a pike position only)
Head spins (Hip Hop only)
Aerial cartwheels (Hip Hop & Jazz only)
Front Aerials (Hip Hop & Jazz only)
Kip up (initiating from shoulders/hands)
Dead Drops (Hip Hop & Jazz only/ drop to the hands first not the shoulders)
Headsprings (with hand support, Hip Hop only)
Headsprings (without hand support)
Dive Rolls (any other position)
Continuous double (partner) cartwheels
Aerial cartwheels (Pom & Kick)
- Tumbling skills with hip over-head rotation is limited to 3 connected skills. (Example: 3 consecutive headsprings are allowed; 4 are not allowed).
- Drops to the knee, thigh, back, front, head, shoulder, or seat onto the performing surface are not allowed unless the dancer first bears weight on the hand(s) or foot/feet.
- Landing in a push-up position onto the performance surface from a jump in which the legs are in front of the body and swing behind are not allowed. All variations of a shushunova are not allowed.
- Airborne skills without hip over-head rotation may not jump from a standing or squatting position backwards onto the neck, head, back, shoulders, and/or hands. NOTE: Kip ups, headsprings, vertical inversions and headspins are danced/executed at your own risk!!
DANCE LIFTS AND PARTNERING (Executed in pairs or groups)
Dance Lift – An action in which a dancer(s) is elevated from the performance surface by one or more dancers and set down. A Dance Lift is comprised of “Lifting” Dancer(s) and “Executing” Dancer(s).
Dance Trick – An action in which a dancer(s) executes a skill with support from one or more dancers. A Dance Trick is comprised of “Supporting” Dancer(s) and “Executing” Dancer(s).
Partnering – An action in which two or more dancers use support from one another, but are not elevated. Partnering can involve both “Supporting” and “Executing” skills.
1. The Executing Dancer must receive support from a Supporting Dancer who is in direct contact with the performance surface through the entire skill. (Exception: Kick Line Leaps).
2. Elevators, thigh stands, shoulder sits, and chair sits are allowed. Extensions and all other cheer based stunts are not allowed.
3. Swinging lifts and tricks are allowed provided the Executing Dancer’s body does not make a complete circular rotation and is in a supine position at all times. Swinging in a prone position is not allowed (backwards and forwards or a complete circular rotation).
4. Vertical Inversions are allowed as long as:
a. The Supporting Dancer(s) maintain direct contact until the Executing Dancer returns to the performance surface or returns to the upright position.
b. When the height of the Executing Dancers shoulders exceed shoulder level of the Standing Supporting Dancer(s), there is at least one additional dancer to spot who does not bear weight.
5. Hip over-head rotation of the Executing Dancer(s) may occur as long as ALL of the following apply:
a. When passing through the inverted position, the Executing Dancer’s shoulders may not exceed the height of the Supporting Dancer’s shoulders when standing upright.
b. A Supporting Dancer maintains contact until the Executing Dancer returns to the performance surface or to the upright position.
c. The skill is limited to one (hip over-head) rotation.
RELEASE MOVES (Unassisted Dismounts to the performance surface)
1. An Executing Dancer may jump, leap, step, or push off a Supporting Dancer if:
a. The highest point of the released skill does not elevate the Executing Dancer’s feet above head level.
b. The Executing Dancer may not pass through the prone or inverted position after the release.
c. Toe pitch back tucks are not allowed.
2. A Supporting Dancer may release/toss an Executing Dancer if:
a. The highest point of the release/toss does not elevate the Executing Dancer’s hips above shoulder level.
b. The Executing Dancer is not supine or inverted when released.
c. The Executing Dancer does not pass through a prone or inverted position after release.
d. Toe Pitch back tucks are not allowed
RELEASE MOVES (Unassisted Dismounts to the performance surface)
1. Jumping or leaping off a dancer above hip level (of the lifting/supporting dancer when standing upright) is allowed as long as there is hand/arm (lifting/supporting/dancer) to hand/arm/body (elevated/executed dancer) contact with a lifting/supporting/dancer throughout the skill.
2. A dancer may jump or leap off another below hip level if the highest point of the skill does not elevate the Executing Dancer’s hips above shoulder level of a standing dancer (of the lifting/supporting dancer when standing upright) and the Executing Dancer is not prone or inverted.
3. A dancer may step off another dancer.